It’s Mother’s Day and as a gesture of my appreciation for one of the nicest mothers I’ve ever known, I made my mum a batch of *healthy* breakfast muffins. They have a variety of healthy berries but also a generous helping of chocolate guaranteed to help kick start a good day. You can use fresh or frozen berries and any kind of chocolate you like. I used white chocolate which complimented the berries nicely. My mums liked it and of course after breakfast I gave her a bouquet of fresh flowers along with (I couldn’t help it!) a Mother’s Day balloon.
2 C plain flour
3/4 C caster sugar
3 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1 1/2 C buttermilk
2/3 C vegetable oil
about 1C fresh or frozen berries
about 1C chopped white chocolate
- Preheat oven the 180 degrees celsius and grease a 12 hole muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together. Mix in the caster sugar.
- Add the chopped chocolate into the flour mixture.
- In a large pouring jug, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla together.
- Gradually pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir in the berries. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin pan and bake for about 20-30 mins.