It was my brother’s birthday recently and his favorite cake is mocha chiffon. Like a dutiful little sister, I decided to make him a mocha chiffon cake for his birthday. The recipe is outlined below which is pretty straightforward to make and tastes delicious.
For the mocha chiffon cake you’ll need:
6 eggs at room temperature, separated.
1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 tsp cocoa power
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp coffee and chicory essence
1 cup self raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius and grease two 9×2 inch baking pans.
2. Mix the yolks and sugar until light and creamy. Gradually add the oil then mix in the vanilla, chicory and coffee essence.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into the yolk mixture. Mix until well combined.
4. Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar to stiff peaks.
5. Gradually fold in the egg whites into the yolk and flour mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool in the pan for about 15 mins before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Sandwich the cakes using some of the buttercream icing and decorate the exterior with the remainder. I used a blue ombre design for my brother’s cake and topped it off with 2 large gumpaste flowers.
For the buttercream frosting you’ll need:
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla essence or preferred flavoring (for this I used (surprise, surprise!) coffee and chicory essence)
3 cups icing sugar
1. Whisk butter and icing sugar until light and creamy.
2. Add the essence and a little milk if a lighter consistency is desired.